05 September 2008

I'm Here to Please You

I decided that I'm really just too tired to blog right now, but it's 6:20 on a Friday night and I realized that I exist to make my avid blog-followers happy (meaning...me.)

Some good news from life recently:

Ocean Kayaking
Hot Yoga
Sunday Morning Hikes
5 PM Service at Church
The Espresso Machine at Work
Re-reading Journal Entries
Sleeping 12 Hours on a Week Night
Getting up at 6 the Next Morning and Working Out

I guess I'll get into my actual post now. Hope you liked my list, tho.

I had a slightly disappointing day. At this point I am questioning a lot of things. Not fundamental things, like God or love or my feet or something, but things regarding what I'm doing, where I am (in life, not physically...that's easy to answer), and so on. And I almost blogged on that. But I realize that it's probably just a whim that will pass with the next breeze. Which in Hong Kong means a typhoon. Frickin' rad! Anyway, I digress (can one digress before one even begins?)

So instead I'm gonna write on one of my recent journal re-reads, which is actually a reflection on something I read. I read it many months ago, but since it's taken me almost a year to get not even half way through the book, it's probably only a few pages back from where I am now.

It's The Divine Conspiracy by Dallas Willard. I'm picking up in the middle of what he's talking about, but here it is:
"When this cheerleading approach to the 'real world' triumphs among those who profess Christ, they may then have faith in faith but will have little faith in God. For God and his world are just not 'real' to them. They may believe in believing but not be able to rely on God - like many in our current culture who love love but in practice are unable to love real people. They may believe in prayer, think it quite a good thing, but be unable to pray believing and so will rarely, if ever, pray at all."
Man, well done Dallas. I mean, not that I feel really qualified or whatever to make comments on the entire Christian community, but from my own observations, especially in my own life, this is totally true. I think the comment about those who love love but are unable to love real people is huge. All my Christian buddies, my self included, talk about love like it's the only thing there is to talk about. I don't know how many people either have or want to have a tattoo that says something about love. Even I do, and I have some designs ready, but we can discuss love all freakin day long. But are we really doing it, to real people?
The Savior didn't just sit and talk about love to the Scribes and Pharisees and whoever else. And the Father didn't just have a conversation with the Spirit about how great it is that He created love, and that he even IS love. He sent Jesus to earth, and the Spirit loved us enough to descend upon us at our conversion. If our example is God, we have no ability to say we don't know what love looks like.
I know I fail at this myself about 83,000 times a day, but it's good for me to get it on paper. This didn't exactly end up going the direction I thought it was going to, but whatever. I rambled and this came out, so I'm happy with it.
I started tonight's blog at work but then I went to Encounter (the high school youth group here in HK) and so I'm finishing it now at 1:40 am.
I just wanna end with one more really important thing:
If you're playing Mario and Sonic Olympics on Nintendo Wii, Peach is totally the best character to use on the Trampoline event. I got a perfect 10 with her like a million times.
Tryin out the love...after I take my nightly nap. Praise God for Saturdays!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

yes first to comment...maybe the fact that I'm sitting right next to you poised, waiting for you to press publish that gives me the advantage--

Anonymous said...

What the heck??? I got like a 3.7 with Peach. I suck at Wii!